- These notes accompany the sermon found here.
- Today’s Text Acts 8:26-40; Isaiah 53.
Way: God brings opportunities to the faithful.
- Luke enjoys the intervention of angels. See Luke 1:19, 1:26, 2:9, 12:8-9, 15:10, 16:22, 22:43, 24:23; Acts 5:19, 10:3, 12:7, 12:23, 27:23. See also Hebrews 1:14.
- Philip’s background: Part of early church – Acts 2:42-47. One of the Seven – Acts 6:5. An Evangelist – Acts 21:8. Considered by his peers “of good repute, full of the Spirit and of wisdom,” showing himself faithful to proclaim the gospel, Acts 8:5ff.
- Encouragement #1: Be in a position to expect opportunities from God.
- See 1 Peter 3:15; Luke 16:10; Matthew 25:21;
Word: The Word of God is the primary raw material of evangelism.
- God saves by the power of His Holy Spirit, the truth of His Word, and the witness of His faithful children. These three, and nothing less.
- See Romans 10:17; John 6:63; 1 Corinthians 15:3-5; Isaiah 53, 55:11; Acts 8:28-35.
- Encouragement #2: Learn to rightly handle the Word of Truth.
Water: True faith bears the fruit of obedience.
- See Acts 8:36; Matthew 28:18-20; Mark 1:15; Romans 6:3-6.
- Encouragement #3: Take the next step in obedience to Jesus Christ.
Worship: Recognize God’s goodness in this process.
- Encouragement #4: Know that God will give you whatever you need to fulfill his will.