These notes are made to accompany the sermon, “Work, Word, and Witnesses” found here: https://www.sermonaudio.com/sermoninfo.asp?m=t&s=67201358304601
Big Idea: The Holy Spirit and His Word will testify to the world through the church about its sin, righteousness, and judgment.
The Work of the Spirit:
Convicts the world of:
- Sin (John 3:16-21, 5:30, 12:47-48, 15:22-25; Acts 10:42, 17:31)
- Righteousness (1 John 2:1; 2 Peter 1:1; Romans 3:21-26; 2 Cor. 5:21; Matt. 5:14-16; John 13:31-35)
- Judgment (John 12:31; Rev. 20-21)
The Word of the Spirit
- Past (The Gospels – John 14:26)
- Present (Acts and the letters – John 16:12-15)
- Future (Revelation and Misc. Prophecies – John 16:13)
- All Understanding (1 Cor. 2:6-13)
- See also: 2 Tim. 3:16; 2 Peter 1:20-21; Isa. 55:11.
The Witnesses of the Spirit
- The Spirit (John 3:3-8, 6:44, 15:26-27; James 1:18; Matthew 16:17; Ezekiel 36:25-27)
- The Church (John 15:26-27; Matthew 16:15-20)
- The Word (John 14:26; Romans 10:13-17; Isaiah 55:11)
- See also Acts 1:8, 8:26-39, 9, 10; Matthew 16:15-20, 28:18-20;
The Holy Spirit is essential to the life and ministry of the people of God. Together with His Word, He works through the people of God to build the church of Jesus Christ.
Abide in Christ! Make use of the spiritual disciplines of reading, studying, memorizing, and meditating upon God’s Word; worshiping God; enjoying accountable and confessing fellowship with his people; praying; obeying; giving; and bearing witness. Pray for the Lord Jesus Christ to become your healthy obsession, your dwelling place, and your friend. Contact your church leaders for opportunities to partake in the ministry of the Word of God.
For more about the Holy Spirit, See the Baptist Faith and Message, http://whitesrun.org/what-we-believe/, section II. God, and section IV. Salvation. Each section includes linked cross-references to all the pertinent scriptures.