These notes accompany the sermon, found here.
- The upward call of God is to be like Jesus Christ. This sermon series is focused on the mindset and practices that produce progress in response to this call. It encourages us to strain forward to what lies ahead and to help others to do the same.
- For background read Acts 16.
- Todays text: Philippians 1:3-11.
Philippians 1:3, 4:6, 4:17; 1 Peter 5:7; 1 Samuel 1:15; Psalm 34:5-7; James 1:16-18; Matthew 7:7-8.
- Php 1:9; John 3:16, 13:34-35, 10:10; 1 John 4:7-12. Picture a flower going from bud to full bloom!
The picture here is a purity that withstands examination in the pure light of the sun.
1 Thessalonians 3:13, 5:23; 2 Peter 3:14; Ephesians 5:25-27.
Fruit of Righteousness
Psalm 1:3; John 15:2; Colossians 1:10; James 3:17-18.
To the Glory and Praise of God
John 15:8; 2 Thessalonians 1:12; 1 Peter 2:9, 2:12, 4:11; Ephesians 1:14; Psalm 86:9; Isaiah 60:21; Romans 11:36; 1 Corinthians 6:20; 1 Corinthians 10:31; Revelation 4:11.
Invitation: Pray for These Things
- Review this text and pray these things for yourself, for your church family, for your family and friends, for the lost people you know, for the leaders in your church, and for the saints around all the world.
- Thank you, Lord for the partnership of the saints in the gospel. Thank you for the work you are doing both in them and through them, and please bring it to completion. May they all abound in love with knowledge and all discernment, so that they may recognize what is right, and so be found pure and blameless for the day of Christ. May they be filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ so that you, Lord, may receive glory and praise.
Prayer is the soul’s sincere desire,
Uttered or unexpressed—
The motion of a hidden fire,
That trembles in the breast.
Prayer is the burden of a sigh,
The falling of a tear,
The upward glancing of an eye,
When none but God is near.
Celtic Worship music videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLTp3zdP1MlEzD_f3f8APVzKFum2G7CBxp
An exhaustive list of the prayers of Paul: https://www.kevinhalloran.net/the-apostle-pauls-prayers-in-the-bible/