These notes accompany the sermon found at: https://www.sermonaudio.com/solo/whitesrun/sermons/711201817475453/
Big Idea: We should pray for all believers to be in perfect unity with one another and with the Father and with the Son.
The Basis of Our Unity: Jesus Christ and His Glory.
- Eternal Unity. John 17:24.
- Internal Unity. James 2:10; Ephesians 4:1-3; John 3:1-18.
- But Not Merely External Unity.
The Nature of Our Unity: The Trinity.
- Unified in Character. Ephesians 4:4-6.
- Unified in Love. John 17:26; Matthew 22:34-40; John 13:31:34-35.
- Unified in Purpose. 2 Corinthians 5:15; Matthew 28:18-20.
- Unified in Destiny. John 17:24; Romans 8:29.
- This Unity is not sameness or mere uniformity, but a deliberate bond between diverse believers toward a singular God and His purposes.
The Results of Our Unity:
- Glory. John 17:1-5, 22.
- Faith. John 17:8, 21.
- Knowledge. John 17:23, 25.
- Love. John 17:25, 13:34-35.
- Am I truly unified with my church and other believers, or do we just get along? Do I know the difference?
- Do I have prejudices against others that require repentance?
- Am I truly unified with my church in the work of the ministry?
- Can I purposefully reach out to fellow believers to foster unity? Who? When? Why not today?
- Pray for God to foster the inward attitudes and outward actions that produce unity in His people so that He may be glorified.