These notes accompany the sermon found at https://www.sermonaudio.com/sermoninfo.asp?m=t&s=9242033261172
“The tower is a symbol of human autonomy, and the city builders see themselves as determining and establishing their own destiny without any reference to the Lord.” – ESV Study Bible, Genesis 11:1-9.
Some common characteristics of human rebellion: Unity, Technology, Ambition, Effort, Leadership(Gen. 10:8-12), Presumption (James 4:13-16, 2 Peter 2:10-11), Religion, Failure.
- Power (Genesis 1-2; Exodus 3-15)
- Purpose (Genesis 3:15, 12:1-3, 50:20; Romans 8:28),
- Success (Matthew 28:18-20).
- Look for the recurring theme of human rebellion versus divine intervention played out in the Bible and in history.
- Take courage that God is in control and working things according to His great plan.
- Notice how the gospel continually overcomes the curses of this world.
- Strive continually to prioritize kingdom concerns.
Read also: Revelation 18-20; Acts 2; Ephesians 2:1-10;
For further study:
Songs we used today in church: