These sermon notes accompany the sermon “Fruit and Friends” found at https://www.sermonaudio.com/sermoninfo.asp?m=t&s=52320183311389 where both audio and video versions are available.
Big Idea: To survive and thrive until the return of our Lord Jesus Christ, we abide in him as a branch abides in the vine.
The Vine and the Branches
- About Vines and vineyards: Ps. 80:8–19; Isa. 5:1–7; Jer. 2:21; Ezek. 19:10–14; Hosea 10:1; Matt. 21:33-46; Rev. 14:14-20.
- Vine – The Lord Jesus Christ.
- Branches – Disciples.
- Vinedresser – The Father. See John 13:10 “clean” related to 15:2 “prunes.” Also Hebrews 12:1-11.
- Fruit – All the good things God desires from His people – especially more people. John 4:34-38; Rom. 1:13, 6:22; Col. 1:10; Heb. 13:15; Gal. 5:22-23.
- Mark 6:10; Luke 1:56; John 1:38; John 14:2 – “rooms.”
- “ means to keep in fellowship with Christ so that his life can work in and through us to produce fruit.” — Warren Wiersbe.
Abide in Christ! Make use of the spiritual disciplines of reading, studying, memorizing, and meditating upon God’s Word; worshiping God; enjoying accountable and confessing fellowship with his people; praying; obeying; giving; and bearing witness. Pray for the Lord Jesus Christ to become your healthy obsession, your dwelling place, and your friend.
Is the Lord Jesus Christ my dwelling place, or do I just visit him occasionally?
Do I view Jesus Christ as a way to get what I want, or do I genuinely want Him above other things?